MB BCh BAO DRCOG DCH MRCGP MFOM FFOM(I)
Tony is a Consultant Occupational Physician with both GMC and IMC Specialist registration. He is past chairman of the Society of Occupational Medicine, Educational Supervisor, Member of the Faculty of Occupational Medicine (UK) and Fellow of the Faculty of Occupational Medicine (Ireland).
He qualified in medicine from Queens University Belfast in 1984 and firstly trained as a General Practitioner including working in psychiatry and musculoskeletal medicine, combined with a part time post as Occupational Physician in the NHS and Medical Advisor to the Benefit Agency/Medical Referee Services. He maintains an interest in ‘mental health’ and ‘musculoskeletal problems’ in the workplace. As such Tony has worked within an occupational health and ‘disability assessment’ environment for 20 years.
His full time career in occupational medicine commenced in 1995 as Medical Advisor to Belfast City Council and the Education sector. This developed into a recognised ‘4 year Specialist Training Programme’ in Occupational Medicine to include NHS work within Belfast City Hospital also. During specialist training he moved post to BUPA-Glasgow working full time in Railways Medicine providing full OH services to all the main Railway Operating Companies (TOC). He has maintained his interest in transport medicine since then.
Tony was awarded Certificate for Higher Specialist Training and Membership of the Faculty of Occupational Medicine in 2002 (MFOM). His dissertation highlighted his interest in musculoskeletal problems ‘Employment Outcomes following lumber discectomy’.
From 2000 to 2007, he joined Capita Health Solutions in NI as the Regional Clinician and successfully established a large regional occupational health team on behalf of Capita in Belfast providing services to various industrial sectors e.g. Policing services, Telecommunications, Manufacturing, Retail, IT, Transport, Legal, Pension funds, Security, Regional government and Finance sectors. Tony was also Chairman of the Medical Appeal Boards, and a Medical Advisor to the Principal Civil Service Pension scheme and several other private pension schemes. He continues to maintain an interest in Police and Fire & Rescue services.
Tony established Occupational Health, Risk and Disability management consultancy – OHRD Ltd – in 2007 and continues to oversee an ever growing business while concurrently developing a modern 9 room clinic base in Belfast City centre. He oversees a dedicated team providing OH services across NI and the North West region of Eire to many private and public sector employers.
Trainer and Educational Supervisor
Dr McGread was a trainer to other doctors (and nurses) over these years and, with Capita, was Educational Supervisor to a Specialist Registrar in Occupational Medicine. He has presented to a wide number of organisations and employers over the years on many topics as well as at academic meetings to colleagues.
Services to Occupational Medicine
Dr McGread was an office-bearer on behalf of the Society of Occupational Medicine NI Group from 2002 to 2008 as Treasurer, Secretary and finally Chairman. He was also a member of the Organising Committee Member – Annual Scientific Meeting – Belfast 2011 helping make the ASM a resounding success.
- MB BCh BAO – Queen’s University, Belfast,1984
- DRCOG – Diploma of Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists, London, 1986
- DCH – Diploma of Child Health, Royal College of Physicians of Ireland 1988
- MRCGP – Member of Royal College of General Practitioners, London 1989
- MFOM – Member of Faculty of Occupational Medicine, Royal College of Physicians of London 2002
- FFOM(I) – Fellow of Faculty of Occupational Medicine, Royal College of Physicians of Ireland 2012
Registrations and Memberships
- General Medical Council Specialist registration – No. 2924306 Irish Medical Council Specialist registration – No. 262417 Medical Protection Society – No. 142214
- Faculty of Occupational Medicine, London – No. 3070
- Faculty of Occupational Medicine, Ireland
- Society of Occupational Medicine – No. 2434
- British Medical Association – No. 7005440
- ARIOPS – Association of Railway Industry Occupational physician.
- Member of the Association of Local Authority Medical Advisors in GB (ALAMA)
Dr McGread maintains comprehensive ‘evidence based’ documentation required for GMC Revalidation and Relicensing.
Fully compliant with the Faculty of Occupational Medicine CPD require- ments with complete Validated CPD returns/certificates from 2004. CPD returns successfully audited in 2010.
Annual Appraisals from 2002 to present. Currently undertaken via the Society of Occupational Medicine Quality Assurance and Audit Scheme, QAAS.